We are happy to provide instruction in whatever form works for faculty. Below are our most commonly requested types of instruction. In addition, we recommend starting with the online Research Skills Toolbox, which allows faculty to provide much of the basic instruction themselves in class or online. Librarians can be scheduled to follow with more in-depth instruction or exercises.
- Librarians offer instructional sessions that provide information about sources and research strategies for a specific course or assignment. Sessions are usually one class period long. We can provide a hands-on research experience in class or online.
Entry Year Experience
- Librarians and instructors work together to provide the type in instruction that fits class needs.
- Instructors schedule a library tour and instruction. Students are required to choose a research topic, use the Learning Commons online system, AskOnline, to schedule an apointment with a librarian to discuss their topic in terms of research. The librarian visits the class around week 10 to provide basic research instruction. The instructor uses the Instructor's Toolbox to provide additional instruction and exercises.
- 1 credit/10--week lab that teaches the full range of research skills, with a small literature review as the final product. Students learn advanced searching skills, citation style and tools, identifying and finding peer-reviewed sources, critical thinking, and more.
Research Skills Toolbox
- Instructors use the Toolbox to provide all or part of required instruction themselves.
- Instructors schedule a 50-minute lecture/demo. See the Request Instruction tab at the top of this page.
- Reference librarians collaborate with faculty to integrate library instruction into courses that contain a significant research component or that require the use of specialized electronic or print resources. Such instruction consists of lectures, learning activities and group work presented in short sessions throughout the term.
Library Tours (may be scheduled or drop-in)
- We offer an overview of the building's layout, holdings, and services, but do not offer any in-depth instruction. Generally 15 - 30 minutes
Questions? Contact Bill Grubb, Head of Reference & Instructional Services, 780-4672 or email@example.com